On Apr 26, 2007, at 7:45 AM, Christopher D. Green wrote:

Marie Helweg-Larsen wrote:
Also interesting that Swarthmore in PA made the list. It is a top rated liberal arts college (so no question about the quality) but it costs $43500 a year (tuition plus room/board) to attend. I wonder how they define "value" when it appears that few other expensive and high ranked liberal arts colleges made the list.
Stanford, Berkeley, Harvard, Yale, MIT, etc. are on the list as well. I believe they are using an obscure Anglo-Saxon meaning of the term "value" which equates roughly to our modern "random". :-)

Chris

Well, I think, and have always thought, that there is something very wrong with including the cost in evaluating of the quality of education at a college. It is like judging the literary quality of , say, a novel by its price and/or the number of pages one gets for the price, or judging the quality of a marriage by how lavish had been the wedding party, or how much money the bride brought to the new family.
I know, I know, I am old-fashioned, but I remain unrepentant..
Peter

Peter Harzem, B.Sc. (Lond.), Ph.D. (Wales)
Hudson Professor Emeritus
Auburn University
AL 36849-5214
USA