Hi

It is common (standard?) in Canadian universities for 50% to define the
pass boundary (at least in the 3-4 I have taught for).  It is an
interesting question whether students interpret it as meaning they need
to know "half" the material, but that is of course not a necessary
implication of 50% (on a single test, for example) being a pass.  The
average mark on a test will be some function of the proportion of
questions of different difficulty on the test, as implied by Steven's
comment about "raising the bar."  Put enough challenging questions on a
test and 50% might actually represent A performance, not simply a pass.
Put enough easy questions and then 60, 70, or even 80% might be a more
realistic value for a pass.

It would be interesting to know how different grading standards relate
to some common metric (e.g., GRE scores?).

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
204-774-4134 Fax
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> Steven Specht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 08-May-07 4:34:47 PM >>>
Stuart,
Are you implying that a grade of 50% is passing at your institution?
I'm not interested in getting into any argument about appropriateness

of grading standards anywhere (since I have no idea about the details

of the testing and grading procedures at your institution). That is, I

realize that 50% can be quite impressive depending upon difficulty of

material. But it raises an interesting question in that it conveys to

students that knowing "half" the material is sufficient for a passing

grade. Do others have a similar policy?
Perhaps on a related note... I teach statistics at Cornell University

during the summer session. I typically give exams which are a  bit more

challenging than the ones I have given at other institutions (because

the Cornell students perform very well indeed). I'm always a bit
tempted to "raise the bar" a bit given that the mean on the exams is
typically in the mid-high 80% range (or higher). On the other hand,
perhaps a statistics course should cover certain material and should
remain relatively the same no matter where one teaches it. I have been

teaching with the Gravetter & Wallnau text for almost 20 years now and

find that every semester I get through less because of the ever-eroding

competencies of my students. Would love to hear from others who teach

at multiple institutions of differing quality.
-S

On May 8, 2007, at 5:14 PM, Stuart McKelvie wrote:

> Dear Tipsters,
>
> I would not argue that the student should be given an A- in the
> circumstances presented, particularly when 90% is the cutoff.
>
> However, the case raises interesting questions about the precision of

> our grading. If I had a final grade of 88.61% I would automatically

> round it to 89%, just as a grade of 88.31% would become 88. Because
we
> actually give percentage grades at our institution, I am not faced
> with the issue of granting an A- or a B. However, when someone
obtains
> 49.61, I am faced with the question of whether to pass the student.
>
> In these circumstances, and indeed whenever the final percentage is

> above 48, I do review the components of the mark, particularly
because
> the maximum percentage based on multiple choice in my courses is 18%.

> At the end of the course, the part of the student's work that I
> usually have to hand is the final examination. I look over that to
see
> how I allocated points.
>
> The general question is this:
>
> When we calculate a final percentage grade, how reliable is it?
> Another way of putting this is: What is the standard error of
> measurement?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Stuart

> Stuart J. McKelvie, Ph.D.,
> Department of Psychology,
> Bishop's University,
> 2600 College Street,
>  Sherbrooke,
> QuĊĦbec J1M 0C8,
> Canada.
>
> E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>               or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Phone: (819)822-9600, Extension 2402
> Fax: (819)822-9661
>
> Bishop's Psychology Department Web Page:
> http/:www.ubishops.ca/ccc/dev/soc/psy
> enter=tips&text_mode=0&lang=english

Steven M. Specht, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Psychology
Utica College
Utica, NY 13502
(315) 792-3171

"Mice may be called large or small, and so may elephants, and it is
quite understandable when someone says it was a large mouse that ran up

the trunk of a small elephant" (S. S. Stevens, 1958)