Stuart wrote, "When we calculate a final percentage grade, how reliable is it?
Another way of putting this is: What is the standard error of measurement?"

Our official grading system is as follows:

Grade Quality Points Percentage Equivalents
A 493 - 100
A- 3.6790 - 92
B+ 3.3387 - 89
B 383 - 86
B- 2.6780 - 82
C+ 2.3377 - 79
C 273 - 76
C- 1.6770 - 72
D+ 1.3367 - 69
D 163 - 66
D- 0.6760 - 62
F 059 or lower

I HATE the idea that  a 70% equates to 1.67 quality points. If you get a 70% in
my class, that should be a C.   So I refuse to give minus grades. There are
some exceptions. e.g., if a student blows the first test (e.g., 60%) but then
gets three 80%  test scores, I would consider giving that student a B- (even
though the average is a 75%) because he/she got his/her act together. I do
little or no "curving" on individual tests although I will make "corrections"
if a students can convince me that one or more questions were poorly written or
otherwise misleading.

The bottom line is that a student is almost never unpleasantly surprised by a
final grade. The student gets what he/she expects or gets a (small) pleasant
surprise. The result is that in 30 years I've never had a grade appeal filed
against me or any other complaint to a chair or dean. In all fairness, I should
say that if a student comes to me and asks me to give a second look at an essay
question, I do not refuse. The fact is, that after getting bleary-eyed on essay
exams can't swear that each question was read & graded with the same perfect
standards. In fact, I'll guarantee that was NOT the case. I make mistakes &
will happily correct them if a student asks me to. Of course, this only goes
for the last exam. I will not go over all of a student's exams for the entire
semester.

The fact is that grades are a very serious matter to students. We need to
remind ourselves of that with some regularity. That doesn't mean we should
abandon our standards or give in to grade inflation. The fact is that a few
points here or there will have no measurable effect on the grades of 90% of our
students. But for the few who have reason to believe there was a significant
error and where that error will impact a letter grade, we should be willing to
go the extra mile.

Ed (The Crusty Old Curmudgeon........... or the Kindly Old Professor. I'm not
always sure which)

Edward I. Pollak, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
West Chester University of Pennsylvania
West Chester, PA 19383
Final Week Office Hours: Mon. 2-6 p.m. Tues. 10 a.m. - noon; thursday 8-10 a.m.
and 12:30-1:30 p.m.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/epollak/home.htm