Okay , I'll wade into this thread...

On Monday I had a student who asked to see her last test in Social Psych. I
gave her the scan-tron but not the test because I did not have one with me, so
she gave me back the scan-tron. On Wednesday (we meet on M & W), I gave her the
test and her scan tron. She then informed me that she made an appointment with
my dept. chair, which I could also attend, because she didn't unerstand how I
graded the test. She wanted to take the test and the scan-tron to her meeting
with the dept. chair, but I took it back. I did make a copy of her scan-tron
for her to take to the dept. chair.  She informed me that she has never failed
a psychology test before she got in my class (this is her second course in
psych). Her test grades are 60, 65, 70, ad 68.
Sure enough, after my next class, guess who was at my door? Yep, the
dept.chair. She wants me to meet with the girl, and then, if  the girl is not
satisfied, to meet with her and the girl. Both the dept. chair and I are not
sure what exactly the girls wants, unless it is she wants a better grade in the
class. By the way, the final exam is Monday. Did I also say she did not hand-in
eight assignments?
Gosh, I am confused. I have never had a student who questioned me about how a
test is graded. Typically I will make up abot 60 questions for  a test. I
require them to answer 30 questions I have selected and they can pick any 10
questions to answer, which means they have answered 40 questions.

What do you think is her motivation?

Jim

Jim Matiya
Moraine Valley Community College
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
New webpage:
http://online.morainevalley.edu/WebSupported/JimMatiya/
2003 Moffett Memorial Teaching Excellence Award of the Society for the Teaching
of Psychology (Division Two of the American Psychological Association)
High School Psychology and Advanced Psychology Graphic Organizers, Pacing
Guides, and Daily Lesson Plans archived at
 www.Teaching-Point.net
Need Inverted Goggles or Displacement Goggles? I got 'em!
Using David Myers' texts for AP Psychology? Go to
http://bcs.worthpublishers.com/cppsych/