In the interview reported by Chris, Franz Maciejewski says the following
re the supposed Minna Bernays/Sigmund Freud affair:
> One conclusion may be that psychoanalysis can no longer be held together
> by appeals to the personal integrity of its founder, but only by its
> heuristic power as a complex theoretical system.

What I find interesting is that in the year 2007 Maciejewski implies that
*with this revelation* (if such it be) psychoanalysis can't now appeal to
Freud's personal integrity. Yet evidence that appeals to Freud's integrity
would be unwarranted have been in the public domain for some considerable
time now. Not for nothing did Frank Cioffi finish his essay for the 1998
Library of Congress Freud Exhibition with the suggestion that "the
ultimate division in the Freud controversy is between those who would be
happy to purchase a used car from Freud or his advocates and those who
would not."[1].

Indeed it was Cioffi who, nearly 35 years ago, pointed out manifest
falsehoods in Freud's accounts of the seduction theory episode in his
seminal talk on BBC radio in 1973 called "Was Freud a Liar?"[2]  Some
elements of Freud's grossly erroneous retrospective accounts of this
episode may charitably be put down to self-serving memory failures, but
others, especially in the first report (1906), could only have been
deliberate. See the section headed "Extrication from potential disaster"
at: http://www.esterson.org/Mythologizing_psychoanalytic_history.htm

But even before the seduction theory episode (and as pointed out by Ernest
Jones long before Cioffi's pioneering article), Freud had published
journal articles in which he falsely claimed to have demonstrated the use
of cocaine to cure morphine addiction without addiction to cocaine. Only
ten days after the commencement (in 1984) of the supposed cure the
individual in question, Ernst von Fleischl, was forced to resume the use
of morphine to relieve the pain of severe trigeminal neuralgia following
another operation, and early the following year (as reported by Freud to
his future wife Martha) he was taking enormous doses of cocaine. Yet Freud
continued to publish claims of the supposedly successful "cure", and
resorted to falsehood when publicly maintaining this claim in 1987. See
Borch-Jacobsen (2000).[3]

This kind of discrepancy between what he revealed in private
correspondence and his public pronouncements was repeated when in 1898 he
publicly claimed that he "owed a great number of [therapeutic] successes
to his new psychoanalytic technique", and that its application
"exclusively" [sic] to severe cases of hysteria and obsessional neurosis
made the test of its success "all the more convincing." Contrast this with
his several times acknowledging to his friend Wilhelm Fliess in this very
same period that "The cases of hysteria are proceeding very poorly. I
shall not finish a single one this year either."[4]

And if we return to the new finding by Franz Maciejewski, what is really
significant about it is not any (apparent) revelation that Freud had
sexual relations with his sister-in-law, but that, as Peter Swales
convincingly demonstrated in an article published in 1982 (and alluded to
by  Maciejewski), in the most celebrated of his examples of a "Freudian
slip" in *The Psychopathology of Everyday Life* the supposed
"acquaintance" with whom Freud engaged in lengthy exchanges was none other
than Freud himself.[5]  (A similar deception had been perpetrated by Freud
in the 1899 "Screen Memories" paper, and, as Jones reports, when the 1899
paper was included in the 1925 volumes of his writings Freud even resorted
to excising an autobiographical passage in *The Interpretation of Dreams*
which threatened to expose his subterfuge.)

And that only takes us to the early stages of Freud's psychoanalytic
career! So much for the "personal integrity" that Maciejewski believes is
only now in question with his recent apparent confirmation of a sexual
liaison between Freud and Minna Bernays.

1. Cioffi, F. (1998). "The Freud Controversy: What is at Issue." In
*Freud: Conflict and Culture*, New York: Knopf, pp. 171-182.

2. Cioffi, F. (1974). "Was Freud a Liar?" Reprinted in *Freud and the
Question of Pseudoscience* (1998), Chicago and La Salle: Open Court, pp.
199-204.

3. Borch-Jacobsen, M. (2000). "How Fabrications Differ from a Lie." London
Review of Books, Vol. 22, No. 8, 13 April 2000:
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v22/n08/print/borc01_.html

4. Esterson, A. (2001). "The mythologizing of psychoanalytic history:
deception and self deception in Freud’s accounts of the seduction theory
episode." History of Psychiatry, xii, pp. 329-352:
http://www.esterson.org/Mythologizing_psychoanalytic_history.htm

5. Swales, P. J. (1982). "Freud, Minna Bernays, and the Conquest of Rome:
New Light on the Origins of Psychoanalysis." The New American Review,
Spring/Summer 1982, pp. 1-23.

Thu, 17 May 2007 16:51:37 -0400
Author: "Christopher D. Green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Did Freud sleep with his wife's sister? From MedScape]