On Jun 3, 2007, at 12:21 AM, Christopher D. Green wrote:

Dear Dean,

I am afraid that you have fundamentally misrepresented (and perhaps misapprehend) my objection. It is easy to dismiss your critics as incomprehending, fuzzy-thinking humanists. I am not here, however, to defend qualitative methods against quantitative ones. (I respect both, when properly executed.) Nor am I ignorant of the quantitative methods you use. (For what it's worth, my MA thesis was a factor analytic study. My PhD dissertation involved my writing computational simulations of logical reasoning. The course I teach most often is statistics.) None of that is at issue. My objection is that the numbers you take as your basic data are not, IMHO, extracted through a method reliable enough for your statistical conclusions to be credible. It is not that I think Galileo's methods to have nothing to offer human knowledge... even to the study history. It is, rather, that I do not find your approach to approximates Galileo's closely enough to engender the same level of confidence in the results.

In this universe of uncertainties, there is one thing for sure: Chris is an outstanding scholar, and does have to list his credentials. The circumstances that led him to do so were unfortunate, out of place in a list such as this one.
Peter

Peter Harzem, B.Sc.(Lond.), Ph.D.(Wales)
Hudson Professor Emeritus
Department of Psychology
Auburn University
Auburn, AL 36849-5214