As many of you are doubtless aware, :-)  on this date in 1925
the so-called "Monkey Trial" for John T. Scopes' teaching of
evolution (technically, that human cam from a more primitve
form of life) in Dayton, Tennessee, came to an end.
I was reminded of this fact by my daily NY Times newsletter
which reported this fact as well as link to the story it published
on that date and which can be accessed through the following link:

http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/big/0721.html#article
NOTE:  there appears to be a couple/few typos in the text,
including repetition of phrases.

It probably should not come as any surprise but the case
ended somewhat differently from the way it has been portrayed
in the film and stage play "Inherit The Wind" but poetic license,
of course, allows one sidestep some truth in order to present
a larger Truth sometimes.  Besides, a good story is a good story
regardless of its relationship to the facts. ;-)

A passage in the NY Times article quoted Clarence Darrow:

"I think this case will be remembered because it is the first case of this
sort since we stopped trying people in America for witchcraft, because
here"- and he thundered out the last words- "we have done our best to turn
back the tide that has sought to force itself upon the modern world of
testing every fact in science by a religious dictum. That is all I care to
say."

Boy!  Am I glad that we are so beyond such times! ;-) :-) :-0

-Mike Palij
New York University