From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2007 10:14 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] possible activity for sleep and consciousness

On 23 Aug 2007 at 10:44, Beth Benoit wrote:

> Here's an example of the kind of dream story I've made up, reminding
> them  that dreams are always bizarre

While acknowledging Beth's imagination in constructing her own example of
a bizarre dream, I have to take issue with her claim that dreams are
always bizarre. I have to because I love contradicting what everyone
knows is true.  At least one authority who has studied dreaming
scientifically claims that dreams are frequently far less bizarre than is
generally believed.

The authority is William Domhoff, the author of "The scientific study of
dreams" (2003). [website at http://dreamresearch.net/]. Michael Hagmann,
in a journalistic account of his research, says this about Domhoff's

"When psychologist Bill Domhoff thinks of dreams, he sees them as short
tales or theater plays with coherent story lines, no more bizarre or
obscure than our routine waking thoughts."
http://scicom.ucsc.edu/scinotes/9801/dream/complete_text.htm

 Domhoff (2005-06) himself says:

"Second, content analyses of dreams collected in both sleep laboratories
and college classrooms over the past 55 years suggest that most dreams
are more coherent, reasonable, and focused on everyday life than
traditional cultural stereotypes--and clinical theorists--assume
(Domhoff, 2005a, for a summary; Dorus, Dorus, & Rechtschaffen, 1971;
Snyder, 1970). True, dreams sometimes contain unusual scenarios or
images, but far less often than might be expected. Moreover, the unusual
scenarios have to be seen within a context of predominantly familiar
settings, a cast of mostly known characters, and an enactment of everyday
activities and interests. As the most prolific and creative laboratory
dream researcher of the 20th century, psychologist David Foulkes (1985),
concluded after several decades of work, dreams are a reasonable
simulation of the waking world."

This challenge to conventional wisdom suggests a possible activity for
students. Let them keep dream diaries to collect all their dreams non-
selectively,  then circulate them to the class for rating on degree of
bizarreness. How bizarre is the typical dream, anyway?

Stephen

Domhoff, G. W. (2005-2006). Dream research in the mass media: Where
journalists go wrong on dreams. The Scientific Review of Mental Health
Practice, 4(2), 74-78.
http://www.dreamresearch.net/Library/domhoff_2006a.html

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University                e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
2600 College St.
Sherbrooke QC  J1M 0C8
Canada

Dept web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
TIPS discussion list for psychology teachers at
http://faculty.frostburg.edu/psyc/southerly/tips/index.htm