Our university is struggling with ways to increase the staffing at our
Student Counseling Center.  One suggestion has been to have members of
the Social Work faculty rotate through the Center as Counselors for a
course load reduction each semester.  I suggested that there might be
ethical issues if students are seeking counseling from faculty.  I
thought the traditional model had permanent staff who were not full-time
faculty providing services.  If faculty and graduate students are
providing services I assume you would have a Counseling Center open to
the public rather than a Student Counseling Center. However, I am not a
clinical psychologist and so have not followed the literature or
policies on this topic very well.  So, any help would be appreciated.
Suggestions of guidelines or literature as well as personal experiences
would be appreciated.  Thanks

Cynthia