I remember that the anthropologist, Marvin Harris, had some hypothesis
about an over-reliance on maize in ancient Mesoamerica resulted in
reduced serotonin turnover & hyper aggressiveness. He even tied it in
with human sacrifice. I believe the book was "Cannibals & Kings."  And
the barbarity associated with over-reliance on maize continues even
through the present day. For a particularly shocking example see
http://brainfuel.tv/postimages/big_bird_thanksgiving.jpg

Ed

Edward I. Pollak, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
West Chester University of Pennsylvania
West Chester, PA 19383
Office Hours: Mon. 12 - 2 p.m. & 3 - 4 p.m.
Tuesdays & Thursdays 8 - 9:00 a.m. & 12:30 - 2 p.m. & by appointment.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/epollak/home.htm
Husband, father, grandfather, biopsychologist, bluegrass fiddler and
herpetoculturist...... in approximate order of importance.