"Bill Hill" asked
"There has been some discussion about expectations for the length of
time a person should agree to return to the university after a
sabbatical leave?  Some have suggested 1 years, others 2.  I would
appreciate some feedback on the average."

Our university says you must return for t least one year.

Then he asked
"Also, a related discussion is the award of a sabbatical leave relative
to an anticipated retirement date.  The general opinion so far has been
that a person should not plan to retire within 2 years of the leave.
Again, feedback?"

At our university, the  "must return for 1 year" rule would also apply
to retirements.

Ed

Edward I. Pollak, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
West Chester University of Pennsylvania
West Chester, PA 19383
Office Hours: Mon. 12 - 2 p.m. & 3 - 4 p.m.
Tuesdays & Thursdays 8 - 9:00 a.m. & 12:30 - 2 p.m. & by appointment.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/epollak/home.htm
Husband, father, grandfather, biopsychologist, bluegrass fiddler and
herpetoculturist...... in approximate order of importance.