On 8 Nov 2007 at 13:54, Marc Carter wrote:

> Oh!  I have one:  I had a crash (bike, broke my neck), and the cops
> wanted to know what to do with the bike, and I said, "You could take
> it
> to my office."
>
> One of my colleagues was in the ER before I was.  It scared them.

Good story, as was Tim's. But it raises a question. For context, first I
provide a personal disclosure. I'm an occasional bike rider. I don't wear
a helmet because:

a) it impairs the sense of freedom I feel while bicycling
b) it looks as though it must be hot and uncomfortable
c) it looks silly (I'm vain, what can I tell you)
d) it allows my daughters to act superior and lecture me

So to justfiy what would otherwise be highly foolish behaviour,  I
selectively collect statistics showing that helmets don't work, and even
if they did, risk homeostasis would cancel out any protection they might
provide.

It seems that quite a few TIPsters have survived bicycle crashes (me
too). But unlike me, I imagine all you responsible folks were wearing
helmets. Do you think they helped?

Note. If you're going to tell me that the helmet saved you from brain
damage, be warned that, allegedly like Dorothy Parker when hearing that
Calvin Coolidge had died, I will ask,  "How can you tell?"

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University                e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
2600 College St.
Sherbrooke QC  J1M 1Z7