Hi

My solution to the computer lab problem (which is a supplement to regular
lecture classes in my honours stats course) is to have a student TA at the back
of the class while the lab instructor delivers the class.  In addition to
reducing outside activities, the extra person is a big help when students get
in difficulty during class as instructor can keep going.

Something like this might work in lectures as well.  That is, a "mole" could
sit in on the odd class (at the back of the room of course) and monitor the
monitors of student computers.

Perhaps some kind of contract at the start of class ... "I promise to only use
electronic devices for current activities of present class (e.g., taking
notes).  Failure to abide by this promise is grounds for immediate dismissal
from the course without appeal."  Perhaps some reasonable graded consequences
if we're feeling generous on this issue?

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
204-774-4134 Fax