From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Mon 11/12/2007 3:29 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: [tips] Question about Exam Scores

Dear Colleagues:

I teach at the community college, and this semester my teaching load is four courses.  Today, I administered the second exam in all of my courses and just scored each of them.  The average for each class is as follows

Class 1- N=27 70% average raw score
Class 2- N=31 66% average raw score
Class 3- N=29 67% average raw score
Class 4- N=30 67% average raw score

The exam consisted of 50 multiple choice items and scored on a 100% scale.  My colleagues at my campus are divided, some say that they deserve the score they get, others will curve the exam scores.  In fact several of my students asked if I would curve even before I handed out the answer forms and exam booklets.

Each semester I do have a handful of students who do not test very well, however this semester I seem to have more of those that do not test well or are not studying adequately for my exam.  In each class three students scored 90% or higher

My question is as follows

At what point does one scale or curve the results and are there any specific methods of doing so?

Thanks

Albert Bramante
Department of Psychology/Sociology
Union County College