Tipsfolk,

I have to say I like discussing Freud in the variety of developmental courses I
teach. Freudian ideas have become so imbued in our culture that I often find
that students can't get away from Freudian ideas.  They bestow all kinds of
conscious/unconscious attributions to children as well as sexuality concerns.
Also, I think that discussing Freud helps to bridge towards other "theories."
Surely, we wouldn't have Attachment Theory, Piagetian theories, even maybe
Behaviorism as a
counter to Freudian ideas--if it weren't for psychoanalysis and Freud.
Teaching about Freud is also a lesson in critical thinking.  If students learn
about the origins of his theories, I hope that they become more critical
consumers of information.
 I hope that they will not longer believe that deodorant causes breast cancer
[a popular spam email that comes around periodically].

In addition, theories are theories.  Keep in mind that there is the Theory of
Natural Selection--is that no less a theory than Freudian theory? [I'm not
advocating for intelligent design].  In fact, I would posit that any religion
is also a theory.
It is a belief system until it is falsified.

So, my question is when is a theory no longer a theory and disappears?  Let's
take phrenology.  I would venture to say that most people would not think that
the lumps on your skull determine anything about your character.  However, you
can attend a
local fair, I'm sure, where there are people willing to take your money and
read your lumps.

Clearly, I'm sublimating,

Rob

Rob Weisskirch, MSW. Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Human Development
Liberal Studies Department
California State University, Monterey Bay
100 Campus Center, Building 82C
Seaside, CA 93955
(831) 582-5079
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

This message is intended only for the addressee and may contain confidential,
privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not
use, copy or disclose any information contained in the message.  If you have
received this
message in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the
message.