I got a chuckle out of "it is a belief system until it is falsified."  I'm not
even sure how to parse that.  It'd still be a belief system, it would just be a
*wrong* belief system.

Anyway.

One of the things that struck me about the NY Times article is that Davies
commits what I consider to be a very naïve conflation of "belief" and
"assumption."

Determinism, human adequacy, uniformitarianism (my own favorite "religion") and
others are all assumptions that we must make in order to do science at all.  If
there were uncaused events, we don't need to investigate them because we will
not be able to get at their causes, and that, after all, is the point of doing
science.  If humans are not adequate to understanding the universe, we might as
well sit home and drink beer.  If the laws that govern the universe are not
constant, we are not creating general theories but rather mere local facts.
And so on.

There are a number of assumptions that we make when we undertake to do science.
 But we do not *believe* them in the way we believe, say, that the earth orbits
the sun.  We *assume* their truth for the purposes of doing our investigation
but I'm not sure we "believe" them in the usual sense of "believe."

I try to teach this distinction to my students.  We are agnostic with respect
to the truth of these assumptions, but we hold them tentatively because to do
otherwise would render the entire scientific process silly.

------
"There is no power for change greater than a community discovering what it
cares about."
--
Margaret Wheatley