I am trying to update the info I give to beginning students on apa referencing
format.  Students seem to want to include a "retrieved from" statement on
anything they find using the computer.  I have had students locate the hard
copy of the journal and yet still give me a "Retrieved from" statement
referencing the publisher of the journal!  Other faculty are probably not aware
of recent changes or do not have a consistent policy as I find my students
doing all sorts of different things.  My own rule has been that if they can
access the full text, and the article is from a fixed, unchangeable reference,
as from, for example, the PsycARTICLES database, then just give me the full
reference and no "retrieved from."  Yes, I know I am substituting common sense
for... the APA way.
   The latest apa guides for electronic references suggests, for such fixed,
unchangeable sources, that the DOI number be given, but no retrieved from
silliness (as of June, 2007).  This digital object identifier (doi) may be used
for.....?  I am sure it could be used to locate and identify the journal and
article by someone who wants to go that route?  It probably means this is a
real copy and not a fake one?  I think that is a problem for the database to
resolve.  Again, I think if the journal is fixed, and full text as published,
then no "retrieved from" or DOI should be necessary.  I am here only talking
about full text journal articles from major databases.  I think this doi is
fine, but am sure that the numbers students/faculty  find and put on their
references will be of little use, and frequently inaccurate.  I also checked
out recent hard copies of apa articles (2007-2008) and could find no references
that had "retrieved from" or DOI numbers in their reference section.  When you
submit articles to journals do they have this "retrieved from" statement or a
doi number, but then are taken off?  I am at home and haven't looked into the
apa elect. ref guide for the appropriate rationalizations.  In six months this
will probably be changed, but I was just wonderin' about this as I prepare info
for my research methods class.   Cheers,  Gary

Gerald L. (Gary) Peterson, Ph.D.
Professor, Psychology
Saginaw Valley State University
University Center, MI 48710