As long as we're talking parables, here's one I use in biopsychology & animal
behavior to illustrate the pitfalls in deducing changes in hypothetical
constructs (e.g., hunger or any other motivational state).

An eminent scientist is interested in studying the jumping behavior of frogs.
He sets a frog on the floor, sneaks up behind it and yells, "JUMP!" He then
takes out his measuring tape, measures the distance of the jump and writes on
his clip board, "Frog jumps 6'."

The scientist then amputates the frog's left rear leg. Repeating the original
procedure, he sneaks up behind the frog & again yells, "JUMP!" Upon measuring
the leap, the scientist writes on his clip board, "amputate the left rear leg
and the frogs jumps 3'."

The scientist then amputates the right rear leg of this same subject. Again he
sneaks up behind the frog and yells, "JUMP!" This time the frog barely
twitches. The scientist picks up his clip board and writes, "Amputate both rear
legs and frog goes deaf."

.

Edward I. Pollak, Ph.D
Department of Psychology