To focus on Bill's questions.  I am not a clinician and I have not received
requests like that of the medicated student.  I stress on syllabi and in class
that I will take into account medical emergencies for make-ups, etc., but
otherwise I give no make-up exams.  If a student contacts me ahead of time and
has a legitimate problem that can be documented I will make special
arrangements.  They are responsible for obtaining homework, etc., from days
missed.  I have taught Abnormal and Clinical classes, and students will
approach me with their "problems" but I have not had excuses about medication.
Stress reactions, dissociative personalities, ghost stories (because of my
interest in paranormal experiences), suicide in the family, PTSD, etc. have all
been popular.  Once after an exam, a student mentioned her medication and I
THOUGHT this was likely a problem, but the student did not seem to be aware of
the problem.   I think we need to hear from more clinicians on the list, but I
would guess students DO pick up on the clinical-care-Dr.-Phil stereotype and
test that relationship in many ways.   Gary

Gerald L. (Gary) Peterson, Ph.D.
Professor, Psychology
Saginaw Valley State University
University Center, MI 48710