We all get such requests/.excuses. I do not grant such requests because a) it
would require me to make up a new exam for that student and each of the others
requesting to take the exam a day, or days or one week late. b) while studying
for that exam they are falling behind on their reading for the next exam. c) I
don't want the job of verifying doctor's notes, hospital treatment records,
etc. (My favorite was an emergency room report that gave the diagnosis as
"meningitis of the throat" and the prognosis as "poor." Dr.'s orders were for a
week of bed rest!)

My syllabi say, "If you do miss an exam, you must contact me immediately. Make
up exams are possible but they will not be given until the last 2 weeks of the
semester. So you REALLY don't want to miss an exam for any but the most
compelling reasons."

 In truth, I'm quite flexible about the time. I tell them you can take before
finals week, during finals week, or even during semester break. I even give
them the option to take it the first day of classes the following semester so
they can have the entire break to study. Taking it so late is a built-in
disincentive for missing an exam but if they're willing to put in the time
studying, they should be able to do well.

Ed

Edward I. Pollak, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
West Chester University of Pennsylvania
http://home.comcast.net/~epollak <http://home.comcast.net/~epollak>
Husband, father, grandfather, biopsychologist, bluegrass fiddler and
herpetoculturist...... in approximate order of importance.