Jim,

We should form the bad day club.

Bill

>>> Jim Matiya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 02/29/08 3:39 PM >>>

Bill,
I still have those aspirin...

Jim
Jim Matiya
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
2003 Moffett Memorial Teaching Excellence Award of the Society for the Teaching
of Psychology (Division Two of the American Psychological
Association)
Using David Myers' texts for AP Psychology? Go to
http://bcs.worthpublishers.com/cppsych/
High School Psychology and Advanced Psychology Graphic Organizers, Pacing
Guides, and Daily Lesson Plans archived at
 www.Teaching-Point.net> Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 14:19:27 -0500> From: [EMAIL
PROTECTED]> To: tips@acsun.frostburg.edu> Subject: RE: [tips] this world is
getting crazy - update> > It was an anonymous letter from someone who signed it
"a friend of higher education" and it sent a copy of my posting and accused me
of "making terrorist threats". I saw the letter.> > > >>> "Miguel Roig" <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]> 02/29/08 2:02 PM >>>> Bill, I'm very glad to hear that the
situation has now been resolved. > > However, I still have to wonder exactly
how your TIPS post ended up in> the administration's hands. Was it, as someone
suggested, a situation> where specialized software that is being used at
Wooster automatically> flagged it down? or perhaps someone from TIPS or from
the outside who> may have picked up on the post and inadvertently interpreted
it out of> context, and sent it to the administration? Or, perhaps someone who
did> so with the intention of causing you harm?> > I would be more than curious
about the circumstances that led to this> ugly incident.> > Miguel> >
-----Original Message-----> From: William Scott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] >
Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 1:33 PM> To: Teaching in the Psychological
Sciences (TIPS)> Subject: Re: [tips] this world is getting crazy - update> > I
just left from a meeting with the VP for Academic Affairs where I was> taken
off suspension and now I am allowed to walk on campus again. There> was no
apology given. However, I did not ask for one.> > Thank you very much to those
of you who wrote letters of support. I> believe the letters helped to speed up
the process by which I was> reinstated. Whether they did or not, I can tell you
with certainty that> they provided important emotional support at a time that I
was feeling> quite at sea. > > Regards,> > Bill Scott> > > >>> Paul Brandon
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 02/28/08 6:46 PM >>>> At 8:55 PM -0600 2/27/08, William
Scott wrote:> >The correspondence below is a thread of TIPs that recently
happened. > >I took part in it as you can read. Based on this actual exchange,
> >and nothing else, I have been suspended from my job (with pay > >--hooray).
My college has decided that I am a possible threat to > >everyone and I must
undergo some evaluation (as yet to be determined > >- maybe psychiatric, maybe
going through all my email, -- who > >knows). It seems that someone sent a copy
of my posting to the > >president of the college saying that I was making
terrorist threats.> > Is it possible that your IT people are monitoring all
email > correspondence for suspect contents?> It could be automated.> > >I
don't know if this was an idiot reading of my post or a friend > >sending the
letter as a prank. Regardless, I have been relieved of > >my position as a
tenured professor of psychology at the College of > >Wooster untill this is
settled.> >> >This is real. I am not kidding about this.> >> >Originally a
member named Michael Sylvester wrote:> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:> >>> >>> >> U
miss the point.The shooter's behavior was due to his not taking> his> >>
meds-nothing more,nothing less.> >> >In response, Christopher Green of York
University (where I used to > >be a faculty member) wrote:> >> >Nothing more,
nothing less? By that logic, we should immediately jail> >everyone who stops
taking prescribed medications. I think this> situation> >is FAR more
complicated than whether one takes drugs.> >> >Chris> >--> >> >Christopher D.
Green> >Department of Psychology> >York University> >> >In response to this Tim
Shearon of Idaho College wrote:> >> >Chris- You stopped too soon. Let's develop
profiles of those who > >might stop taking their meds. We could then prevent
this from > >occurring. (removing tongue from cheek for the next few minutes)
:) > >Incidentally I've stopped taking my meds.> >Tim>
>_______________________________> >Timothy O. Shearon, PhD> >Professor and
Chair Department of Psychology> >The College of Idaho> >Caldwell, ID 83605>
>email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> >> >In response to this I wrote:> >> >I have stopped
taking my meds, too. I was prescribed some prozac a > >couple of years ago when
I reported feeling fatigued to my family > >medicine doctor. I quit taking it
after a month or so because it > >seemed to make no difference. Last weekend in
a discussion of the > >shootings with some old friends I confessed that I
responded to the > >news by thinking of a list of people I would blow away at
my school > >in a similar way.> >> >Catch me if you can.> >> >Bill Scott> >>
>p.s. The point is that, although all of the above is true, I believe > >it is
true for 99.99% of people who have the same story that they > >will never do
such a thing.> >> >> >---> >To make changes to your subscription contact:> >>
>Bill Southerly ([EMAIL PROTECTED])> > > -- > The best argument against
intelligent design is that people believe in> it.> > * PAUL K. BRANDON [EMAIL
PROTECTED] *> * Psychology Department 507-389-6217 *> * 23 Armstrong Hall
Minnesota State University, Mankato *> * http://krypton.mnsu.edu/~pkbrando/ *>
> ---> To make changes to your subscription contact:> > Bill Southerly ([EMAIL
PROTECTED])> > > ---> To make changes to your subscription contact:> > Bill
Southerly ([EMAIL PROTECTED])> > > > ---> To make changes to your subscription