Hi? -

I think I need help. I don't?want to do anything to make this worse. Maybe I'll
join the bad day club if I manage to do that.

I had a very enthusiastic and dedicated female student, close to my age, in my
Fall 2007 Intro Psych class at Long Beach City. At the end of the term she
thanked me (profuselly) and gave me book as a gift (from my Amazon.com wish
list). As the book is not an atypical sort of gift from a student, I accepted
it graciously. Told her it was a pleasure to work with her and "stay in touch"
(something I say to many students).

Since then (late December) she has managed to email me at least 4 or 5 times a
week about something (usually a?book or show she thinks I should see). I
respond politely - and tersely -to most of her emails. But it has escalated
into her sending me an invitation to bet on the Oscars with her for a cup
of?coffee, and most recently an invitation to a concert on a Saturday night and
also an invitation to be on her Amazon.com Friends list

I am now REALLY uncomfortable. I don't want to do ANYTHING else to respond as I
don't feel that I encouraged this and it is bordering on creepy - please,
please, give me a reality check if I am wrong about this. I don't want to hang
out with her or even feel bullied into being involved in a personal "friends"
list at a commerical site.

If anyone has ANY suggestions how I can discourage this in a polite and
professional way, I would welcome them. I know that perhaps nothing I do that
indicates reticience will stop her from being angry/hurt. Again, I don't
think?did anything to indicate that I'd be her friend

Thanks and if I did anything stupid here...I'll take that kind of?feedback off
list.

Nancy Melucci
Long Beach City College
Long Beach CA