The article pointed to by Stephen is interesting and I believe it should be
said in as many places as possible that there is no clear evidence that
depression is caused by the malfunction of serotonin systems. However, I am
perplexed by the suggestion in the article that evidence that SSRI's are truly
effective would have any importance regarding the issue. This is the argument
that pharmaceutical companies have been making. SSRI's relieve depression.
SSRI's act on the serotonin system. Therefore depression is caused by a
serotonin imbalance. It would be the same as arguing that headaches are caused
by a lack of aspirin.

Bill Scott

On 8 Mar 2008 at 5:36, Allen Esterson wrote:

> Another view on the current debate:
>
> http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/docs/Antideps27Feb08.pdf

And yet still another:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-03/fsu-smp030308.php#

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University      e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
2600 College St.
Sherbrooke QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Subscribe to discussion list (TIPS) for the teaching of
psychology at http://flightline.highline.edu/sfrantz/tips/