Julie,

Of course, you can use the old standby of asking students if there are more
words in the English language that start with the letter "k" or have "k" as the
third letter.

One exercise I use is to read the students a list of names at the beginning of
class.  The list contains male and female names.  There are a few more male
names on the list.  But just about all the female names are famous ones while
none of the male names is.  So, when I get to the heuristic later in the class
period and ask them whether there were more males or females on the list of
names I read to them earlier, they usually believe there were more female names
because those are more available.

However, sometimes by the time I get to this little demo my students have
figured out that I am a tricky social psychologist and they guess that there
were more males.  Even though they may have "spoiled" my demo, they at least
can explain why they guessed what they did and why the more common response is
"females."  Also, even if they have guessed that there were more males on the
list, if I asked them to write down all the names they can remember they see
that female names are much more available.

Let me know if you hear of any more ideas.

Jon

===============
Jon Mueller
Professor of Psychology
North Central College
30 N. Brainard St.
Naperville, IL 60540
voice: (630)-637-5329
fax: (630)-637-5121
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu (
http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/ )

>>> Julie Osland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 3/20/2008 10:17 AM >>>
Hi Tipsters--

I'm going to be covering heuristics in a week, and I need
demonstration/activity for the availability heuristic. In years past, I
used a handout comparing causes of death (such as asthma, lightning
strike, stroke, tornado, all accidents, etc) but have found it to no
longer work (most students answer the items correctly).  Any ideas of
something new and different to try?

Thanks,

Julie Osland

--