Interesting point David--I've gone back and forth on this in both my mind and
in the assignments--more short papers versus one long paper.

Here is the trade off I keep coming back to: with the long paper students need
to learn to integrate information and to transition between and connect their
thoughts. No matter how much I emphasize the critical thinking in the short
papers, I don't think they learn the other skill of integration and connection.
On the other hand, the longer papers do tend to show somewhat less critical
evaluation of single papers. AND they are easier to grade ;)

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
University of San Diego