On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 21:01:39 -0400, Christopher D. Green wrote:
> What if you use MRI to image water? Well, if the water is in someone's
> brain (and you set the thing up just right), you get the connectedness
> map of the brain. Cool stuff!
> See more here:
> http://www.mindhacks.com/blog/2008/07/connected_to_the_hig.html

Very cool images.  I've taken a look at the article that
is the source for this but I'm going to wait to spend some
time to give it a close reading.  However, though I get
the general idea (these images represent the network
organization in the brain) it's not clear to me what the
significance is of such networks.  The images represent
something like links or pipes that contain water but is
it water within the neurons, surrounding the neurons,
and/or the cerebral vascular system (i.e., the blood
vessels of the brain)?  And how do they distinguish these
sources?

Also, wouldn't it be more useful if one could map the paths
and intersections of neural electrical patterns (i.e., action
potential patterns) because single-cell and multiple-cell
recording studies show how the speific neurons or networks
appear to process specific types of information?  I assume
that the technology for doing this doesn't exist yet but this
I understand a little better than tracking the path of water
or fluids in the brain.  It seems like this is a more sophisticated
analysis of what a SPECT scan shows (i.e., regional blood flow
in contrast to specific paths or "pipes").

Clarifications would be appreciated.

-Mike Palij
New York University