Text from:
http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/annurev.med.57.071604.141451";
 The full text is available at that address, in html and pdf, I believe.

"The late afternoon/evening exacerbation of behavioral symptoms in dementia has
been recognized by clinicians for >60 years. Researchers have utilized a
variety of increasingly sophisticated tools to examine the circadian, hormonal,
physiological, and epidemiological correlations with sundowning behavior."

So it is, essentially, a worsening of symptoms and signs of dementia at or near
sundown/late-afternoon. There have been many attempts to treat it
physiologically.
Tim
Timothy O. Shearon, PhD
Professor and Chair Department of Psychology
The College of Idaho
Caldwell, ID 83605
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

teaching: intro to neuropsychology; psychopharmacology; general; history and
systems

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." Dorothy Parker