Time--
Thanks.
I did a quick lit search and didn't find anything outside of dementia populations.

On Aug 19, 2008, at 12:47 PM, Shearon, Tim wrote:

Paul
Lots of symptoms/signs get "extended" beyond specific and proper use so I'd imagine that happens with this term too. Without presence of dementia I'd tend to call that fatigue. In this case what I know of it is reading relating to family issues- it is, of course, relevant to several areas of psych.
Tim
_______________________________
Timothy O. Shearon, PhD
Professor and Chair Department of Psychology
The College of Idaho
Caldwell, ID 83605
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

teaching: intro to neuropsychology; psychopharmacology; general; history and systems

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." Dorothy Parker

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Brandon [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tue 8/19/2008 11:39 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] Sundowning

So, does this have any applicability to individuals WITHOUT dementia?
I've heard it applied to the elderly in general.

On Aug 19, 2008, at 12:10 PM, Shearon, Tim wrote:

Text from: http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/doi/abs/10.1146/
annurev.med.57.071604.141451" The full text is available at that
address, in html and pdf, I believe.

"The late afternoon/evening exacerbation of behavioral symptoms in
dementia has been recognized by clinicians for >60 years.
Researchers have utilized a variety of increasingly sophisticated
tools to examine the circadian, hormonal, physiological, and
epidemiological correlations with sundowning behavior."

So it is, essentially, a worsening of symptoms and signs of
dementia at or near sundown/late-afternoon. There have been many
attempts to treat it physiologically.
Tim

Paul Brandon
Emeritus Professor of Psychology