From: Ken Steele [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wed 8/20/2008 10:51 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] Software for Emeritus Faculty

Wuensch, Karl L wrote:
>       Those of you who happen to know whether or not your university
> provides emeritus faculty with statistical software (such as Minitab,
> SPSS, SAS), please let me know.  I am struggling with this issue at my
> institution.  It seems that some vendors do not want to include emeritus
> faculty in site licenses (even though the number who would take
> advantage of it is probably small).  I would like to remain productive,
> in a scholarly sense, after retirement, but would be hard pressed to do
> so without access to such software.

Karl:

(Standard Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer but...)

Here is how the distinction works up here as I read the
information.  ASU has a site license to install SPSS on
university computers, not provide software to individuals.  So,
for example, SPSS is available on the computers in the library
and any legitimate user of the library can use SPSS legitimately.

It would seem to me that you should try to negotiate use of a
university machine.

Good luck.

Ken

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D.                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Department of Psychology          http://www.psych.appstate.edu
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608
USA