From: Shearon, Tim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [tips] Google desktop search (was why psychology is hard)
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@acsun.frostburg.edu>
Date: Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 1:06 PM

Miahael-
Vista- You mean Mahogany? :) Remember that folks like it if they rename it!!
Thanks for confirming my own experience with its search "function".
But, re: Google desk search, all's not good news. Google desktop search on a
public computer can be used to search email if it is accessed through the web
and you can by-pass the passwords and log-ons (you do have to look beyond the
search results but it's accessible if you dig a bit)! Do be careful to only
use it on your own private computer is the advice I've been seeing- Also,
that should include post-log off and be especially powerful to anyone with a
higher "level of security" in their account. To me that's not a
good thing. (That's not it's only non-redeeming security issue/feature:
C.f., http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/vpn/2004/1115vpn1.html - you may
have to bypass an ad!)
Tim
Timothy O. Shearon, PhD
Professor and Chair Department of Psychology
The College of Idaho
Caldwell, ID 83605
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

teaching: intro to neuropsychology; psychopharmacology; general; history and
systems

"You can't teach an old dogma new tricks." Dorothy Parker