Whoever gets paid more
(see Campus Capitalism).

On Sep 7, 2008, at 9:16 AM, Dr. Bob Wildblood wrote:

Miguel wrote:
".... Psychologists earn PhDs, and AP style allows the 'Dr.' title only
for those with medical degrees".

Check out the story at: http://www.apa.org/monitor/2008/09/ceo.html.

The article certainly supports what Miguel said; however, I, and the faculty who were responsible for my education at the graduate level believe that the PhD is the degree that is most eligible to be called Dr. since it predates the MD by a long time. The original PhD's were recognized for being scholars. The original "medical doctors" were recognized for being barbers. Who deserves the title of Doctor more?

Paul Brandon
Emeritus Professor of Psychology
Minnesota State University, Mankato