I want to thank everyone for the input to answering the questions. Most of
these
issues were as I thought although Mike raised some interesting perspectives
regarding definitions of terms as these might affect the overall discussion,
especially of point #1. Thanks to Miguel and Chris for specific references. Ah!
ammunition is always good to have.

I also thought that Mike's comments were quite interesting about effect sizes,
and in particular how each study needs to be considered for its own merit in
terms of these. (cf the aspirin studies)

Finally, the whole thing about IV/DV or criterion versus predictor variables is
an
interesting discussion. I was not aware that outside of psychology this is sort
of
"no big deal". No wonder when science reporters read about IVs in correlational
studies they draw causal conclusions. I can see why confusion would ensue even
if we want to argue that some causal relationship on a micro-level.

Since I needed all of this information for a dissertation I am reading as an
outside member, I think that in the context of a dissertation I will be a bit
stricter than I might otherwise have been and will ask the candidate at minimum
to have a brief side discussion of the terminology and her decision for the
choice she makes in using it.

Thanks--you guys are great! Widely varied questions but great answers all
around.

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology