I had students read the article by Wynne and the responses to it in this:
http://psyc.queensu.ca/ccbr/past_vols_2.html

Most of them gave up on the anthropomorphizing after reading these articles but
the one's that didn't felt that they had seen embarrassment in their pets. Go
figure.

Bill Scott

>>> Michael Britt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 10/03/08 6:47 PM >>>
Okay, since I haven't used up my allotment of 3 messages today, let me
ask this question.  I've had a few cats and dogs in my day, and you
could just swear that they look like they are embarrassed when
they....relieve themselves.  Now I know I'm probably just
anthropomorphizing, but I'd like to hear an explanation for this
(assuming others have made this same kind of interpretation).  Perhaps
an evolutionary one: they are merely looking around to make sure they
don't get attacked by another animal during a time when they
are...preoccupied?

Or they just plain embarrassed?  If dogs and cats could talk.....

Have a good weekend all,

Michael

Michael Britt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]