On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 19:02:44 -0400, William Scott wrote:
> This was in the unabomber manifesto, I think.

Give the man a Cohiba!  As mentioned in Dooling's article,
Kurzweil apparently is fond of presenting the quote to folks
and then asking who is the author (i.e., Ted Kaczynski).
For people who are unfamiliar with Kurzweil (who has some
stange views of his own) I suggest taking a look at Hamid
Ekbia's "Artificial Dreams", chapter 3, "Cyborgs: Cybernetic AI".
According to Ekbia, Kurzweil predicts that by the end of
this century, AI/cyborgs will have achieved knowledge
and intelligence greater than that of the entire human race.

Bottom line:  Be nice to your computer.  Your cyborg masters
will remember.

> Pretty prescient, eh? Nobody said the guy wasn't smart.

In some ways yes, in other ways no.  It is interesting to read
the Wikipedia entry on Kaczynski (standard disclaimers apply);
see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unabomber

There have always been people who were afraid of and/or
fought scientific and technological development (e.g., the
Luddites; Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World" is a dystopian
vision of science and technology in the service of the basest
of human political interest, namely, "classism") but what
distinguished Kaczynski from others was that he somehow
thought that sending bombs through the mail would counteract
the "evils" he was concerned with.  Instead of reading
Joseph Conrad's "The Secret Agent" (mentioned in the Wiki
article), he might have been better off reading Isaac Asimov's
Foundation Triology and taking "Hari Seldon's" maxim about
violence to heart (I leave it to reader to find this maxim if
they haven't read the triology).

Oh, for relevant psychological content, while an undergraduate
at Harvard, he participated in some of Henry Murray's "stress
interviews".  It is also interesting to see how variable his FBI profile
was.

-Mike Palij
New York University
[EMAIL PROTECTED]