Our local union paper included the following, with respect to the issue of
psychology in the high schools:

The
Office of Professional Preparation Services (OPPS) has notified Michigan
colleges and
universities that the following endorsements, as of January 1, 2009, will no
longer be available to new teacher candidates not already enrolled in an
education program.  The endorsements
targeted are as follows:

            Academic Study of Religion

            Anthropology

            Behavioral Studies

            Cultural Studies

            Environmental Studies

Humanities

Philosophy

Recreation

In
addition the following endorsements are under consideration for elimination:

            Psychology

            Sociology

            Technology and Design, or Industrial
Technology

The
rationale given for this action is that these endorsements should be eliminated
because they are not critical to the Michigan Merit Curriculum.

While
the elimination of these endorsements will not have a direct impact on teachers
who currently hold any of these endorsements, it will impact the ability of the
district to offer programs in the future.

If
you have concerns regarding this action by the OPPS contact Dr. Flora Jenkins,
Director, Office of Professional Preparation Services.  She may be reached by
email at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or by mail at:

Dr. Flora Jenkins, Director

Office of Professional Preparation Services

Michigan Department of Education

P.O.
  Box
 30008