In addressing Jim’s question:

I don’t find anything specifically documenting the reason(s) for Rogers’ shift
away from research but it did follow the difficulties of working with
schizophrenics at the Mendota State Hospital in Wisconsin and the
methodological criticism of the studies of Truax and others in the 60’s and
70’s.

I agree with Gary’s comment about Rogers' decreasing interest in empirical
study. My conversations with a student of Rogers at the Center for the Study of
the Person suggest the same: that he believed there are limits to the
scientific method in understanding individual experience; that he felt
"scientific inquiry was focused on what is and Rogers was interested in what we
are becoming." (John Rivers)

There is a brief review of the research during the 1960’s in the introduction
to Carl Rogers' Therapeutic Conditions: Evolution, Theory and Practice by Gill
Wyatt here: http://www.pccs-books.co.uk/pdf/Wyattseriesint.pdf

Steve

Steven Hall

Butte Community College, Oroville,CA