From: Paul C Bernhardt [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2008 4:00 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] attn: Commonwealth Tipsters

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Published in Punch in December, 1915. This poem became a symbol in England
of the war losses. When Armistice Day came to end the war, the poppy became
an annual tribute. It is more celebrated in Commonwealth nations than in the
other Allied nations. Read details about his writing it  at
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/flanders.htm

--
Paul Bernhardt
Frostburg State University

--------

On 11/11/08 3:17 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I could swear that while growing up on the Caribbean Island of St.Lucia,we
had a holiday called Poppy Day and we actually sold poppies. Obviously,it
must have been a British thing.Is this same as Armistice day  or Veterans
day as celebrated today in the U.S? And why a poppy flower? Anything to do
with opium?

Sleepless in Daytona.

Michael Sylvester,PhD
Daytona Beach,Florida