I agree with Stephen. This law in South Dakota is clealy using the
framing/anchoring/availability heuristics to be persuasive. Those opposing the
law should lobby to have the facts regarding reproductive rights and choice
included after these sets of "information".

Bill Scott

>>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 11/24/08 10:11 PM >>>
 Or: pushing the envelope on "informed consent" (There I go again with
the scare quotes). I was horrified by this draconian law in the land of
the (formerly) free. One might expect a country like Iran, say, to pass
such a measure compelling adherence to ideologically and religiously-
driven beliefs, together with the promotion of false information in the
guise of scientific. But in the USA?

See:

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/359/21/2189

and then see:

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/NEJMe0809669v1

(I apologize for apparently bringing the abortion debate to TIPS, where
it does not belong.  But it seems to me that such a law raises questions
beyond that issue concerning the right of the state to interfere in the
professional relationship between qualified therapist and patient, and to
impose a particular view by misrepresenting scientific evidence. It could
be psychology or biology that gets it next. Sorry--I think they already
have.)

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University      e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
2600 College St.
Sherbrooke QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Subscribe to discussion list (TIPS) for the teaching of
psychology at http://flightline.highline.edu/sfrantz/tips/