From: Frantz, Sue [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Fri 11/28/2008 7:30 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: [tips] Netflix Prize

Hi all,

Netflix is offering a million dollars to the person or persons who can improve
their prediction system by 10% so they can better recommend movies that
customers will like.  This is really a psychology problem, not a computer
problem.  Anyone want to take crack at it?  I nominate Stephen Black to put
together the team that will represent TIPS.  Although, the article does say
that a 'trained psychologist' is one of the top ten competitors.  Someone on
this list?  Fess up.

Link to NY Times article below.

Or go directly to the Netflix Prize site: http://www.netflixprize.com/

If the winner comes to a member of TIPS, I'd like a small 2% finders fee.
(Just wanted to get that in writing.)

--
Sue Frantz                 Highline Community College
Psychology                Des Moines, WA

Sent: Fri 11/28/2008 7:21 PM
Subject: NYTimes.com: If You Liked This, You're Sure to Love That

MAGAZINE   | November 23, 2008
The Screens Issue:  If You Liked This, You're Sure to Love That
By CLIVE THOMPSON
Basement hackers and amateur mathematicians are competing to improve the
program that Netflix uses to recommend DVDs - and to win $1 million in the
process.

1. Holiday Books: 100 Notable Books of 2008
2. The Evidence Gap: The Minimal Impact of a Big Hypertension Study
3. Grandma's on the Computer Screen
4. In Lean Times, Online Coupons Are Catching On
5. Op-Ed Columnist: Lest We Forget

ยป  Go to Complete List

Slumdog Millionaire From visionary director Danny Boyle, and winner of the
People's Choice Award at Toronto Int'l Film Festival 2008. Now Playing in
select theatres.
Click here to view trailer

Copyright 2008  The New York Times Company | Privacy Policy

<<winmail.dat>>