This is an interesting idea, Gerald. I would like to know if there have been
multiple facebook/myspace/flicker etc. pages set up by alters of the large
number of DID diagnosed individuals in our culture who are of the age where
everyone has a facebook/etc page. If this were to be a phenomenon, which would
be very interesting in itself, then did the pages get set up before or after
the person entered therapy?

I can't imagine how to find this sort of thing out, though.

Bill Scott

>>> "Gerald Peterson" <peter...@svsu.edu> 12/17/08 11:18 AM >>>
This got no reaction from my students so thought I would post it here during
holiday break (well, some of us are on break).  The news story was mentioned on
tips, but I am just playing with the implications.  I was trying to get student
reactions to this because of their varied involvement in diverse online sites.
I wonder too if clinicians are seeing folks/students with dissociative
disorders tied to different "selves" that they present on myspace, Facebook,
etc.  How well do created avatars represent our selves or personalities?

Some thoughts on a prelim. news story about research where people are led to
see and feel from someone else's perspective. My thoughts intended to elicit
your comments: If we can be led to see and feel from each other's viewpoint
then does this mean greater appreciation of that person's feelings and
thoughts? Could I confuse your embodied viewpoint with my own? Could those
prone to mental problems become even more screwed up with such experiences? If
we exchange viewpoints then do I come to feel the expression of your
personality? Don't we already have such experiences with online gaming,
role-playing games, and the use of avatars? Do I not become my avatar? BTW, are
such avatars a form of hyperspace immortality? If we capture and create an
online log of me viewing/experiencing your world from your viewpoint can I say
that I am now two selves? Do such experiences promote virtual mind-reading? See
the news article and share your perspectives!
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/02/health/02mind.html?_r=1&nl=8hlth&emc=hltha1

Gary

Gerald L. (Gary) Peterson, Ph.D.
Professor, Psychology