I find it - despite the fact that I should be desensitzed to it by now -
profoundly discouraging that people still enroll in our intro psych course
thinking the the vast majority of time will be spent on psychopathology. I keep
assuming that word has gotten out over the past decade that psychology is an
enormously diverse foundation course that can be applied to most majors, not
just a course for future clinicians.

In introductory psychology I focus on 1) educating my students about the actual
statistics and process of the insanity defense (because of the enormous amount
of ignorance and distortion around this topic) and 2) a skeptical look at the
DSM and an overview of its structure and use.

Indirectly related to this, I gave up (at least for now) teaching abnormal at
my main school - because we DON'T require intro psych as a prerequisite, which
substantially increases enrollment by substantially increasing the number of
folks who enroll because they are looking to be diagnosed or to diagnose
someone they know. And having little to no knowledge of fundamental
neuroscience and the effects of stress on health, they are completely lost and
overtly annoyed for most of the term.

Nancy Melucci

Long Beach City College

Long Beach CA