I would suggest abstinence also..especially since the guidelines are not clear.
 One of my colleagues here did his dissertation work on fetal alcohol syndrome
and, as I recall, he mentioned that the effects can depend also on the time
(third trimester) and consistency of ingestion (a highball or equivalent a day
can be bad).   It can promote some useful class discussion.   Gary

Gerald L. (Gary) Peterson, Ph.D.
Professor, Psychology
Saginaw Valley State University
University Center, MI 48710
989-964-4491
peter...@svsu.edu

>>> "DeVolder Carol L" <devoldercar...@sau.edu> 2/6/2009 11:50 am >>>
Dear Tipsters,
I tried posting this on the other list (PSYTEACH) but it was rejected
because it serves no purpose to carry this any further since it has
strayed from the "teaching of psychology." This list is easier, and if
you're not interested, then just delete it. I think it relates to
teaching psych because I want to provide my students with what I
consider valid information. So, I'm copying what I sent to the other
list for what it's worth. The question on PSYTEACH to which I am
referring dealt with how much alcohol is safe during pregnancy, and
whether we are using scare tactics to unnecessarily frighten people.

I've been waiting to write this message because I wanted to hear back
from a colleague, Dr. Jennifer Thomas, at San Diego State University. In
my opinion, Jennifer is a well-respected expert in this field and is
past president of  the Alcohol Spectrum Disorders Study Group. I also
went to grad school with Jen and remember her work with rat pups and
their exposure to alcohol (that's my disclosure about potential bias,
but really I'd still consider her an expert). I asked her for her
opinion on acceptable levels of alcohol ingestion during pregnancy and
the threshold for adverse fetal effects, and she acknowledged that there
is very active debate on the topic, with the consensus in the US being
somewhat different from the consensus in the UK. (The position in the US
is abstinence, in the UK the accepted level is a glass per day.) In her
words, "The problem really is that there is so much variability in
response to alcohol(genetics, nutrition, other exposures) that one
cannot make a prediction of the risk for an individual and so there is
NO known safe level of alcohol exposure during pregnancy.  We certainly
see changes with low levels of exposure with the animal models.  It is
more difficult to study in humans."  Jennifer also pointed me to two
sites, which I am including here: http://www.rsoa.org/fas.html  and
http://www.rsoa.org/fas-Response.pdf . The second link has a reference
list.

My opinion remains unchanged--I still believe in complete abstinence
during all phases of pregnancy. I realize there are anecdotes about
people who drink and their "baby came out just fine," but I'd rather be
safe than sorry as much as possible.

Carol

Carol DeVolder, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology