Correction:  Meehan's report in Nature about the committee was that the
committee was not "ungullible."  That is, he felt the original committee WAS
gullible.   Gary

>>> "Gerald Peterson" <peter...@svsu.edu> 3/5/2009 9:12 AM >>>
Wow, I hadn't heard about this effort to emphasize the group investigating
Clever Hans was scientific and that they were totally befuddled.   Good
examples of revisionist history surround such episodes tho.   I will have to
check my old class notes where this was always presented.  Herman Spitz, in his
wonderful little book "Nonconscious movements: From mystical messages to
Facilitated Communication" explores the fact the Stumpf was apparently upset
about a news Note in the journal _Nature_ that stated the committee had
concluded the demonstrations indicated significant mental powers of the animal.
 This news note indicates, or implies,  the committee had status as a
commission and was "scientific" with its membership including the director of
the Zoo, a Veterinary surgeon, and professor of the Physiology Institute at
Berlin University.  Despite Stumpf's more cautious conclusions (apparently),
Spitz points out that Stumpf had initially been impressed by the animal's
performance (Pp. 26-27).  Others were also doubtful about the committee's
conclusions---as presented in the press--and Spitz notes that a report appeared
in _Nature_ by a J. Meehan that concluded essentially that the commitee was
"not gullible." (Spitz, P. 28).   Having checked my old notes from graduate
classes and seminars, etc, I find that this "commission" was typically
presented in class more cautiously as the commission being, indeed, impressed,
having found no intentional fraud, and suggesting further investigation.  Then
Stumpf is often reported to have handed off the problem to "his" student
Pfungst who gloriously employs more systematic and controlled procedures.  This
is not actually historically correct either of course, but psychologists love
their "origin myths" as one of my favorite profs used to say.     Gary

Spitz, H. H. (1997).  Nonconscious movements: From mystical messages to
facilitated communication.   Mahwah, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum.

Gerald L. (Gary) Peterson, Ph.D.
Professor, Psychology
Saginaw Valley State University
University Center, MI 48710
989-964-4491
peter...@svsu.edu

>>> Allen Esterson <allenester...@compuserve.com> 3/5/2009 4:05 am >>>
On 4 March 2009 Michael Smith wrote (no doubt tongue in cheek) on the issue
of the definition of science:

>Reminds me of Clever Hans.
>Apparently the scientists found repeated consistent evidence
>by independent observers and reached a tentativley accepted
>truth. But fortunately, a psychologist came to the rescue.

Several websites recycle the statement that a team of "scientists" upheld
the "Clever Hans" claim, e.g., http://tinyurl.com/buf3gn and
http://skepdic.com/cleverhans.html

I haven't been able to ascertain the membership of the team, but according
to the Wikipedia entry the Commission set up to examine the claims
"consisted of a veterinarian, a circus manager, a Cavalry officer, a number
of school teachers, and the director of the Berlin zoological gardens."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clever_Hans

It is evident that the Commission failed to use a blind test of the claims
(a procedure known since the beginning of the nineteenth century), so their
examination of the horse's abilities can hardly be described as scientific.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
http://www.esterson.org ( http://www.esterson.org/ )