On 6 Mar 2009 at 10:25, Mike Palij wrote:

> As the NY Times observes in its "On This Day":
> http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/big/0306.html#article
>
> For those unfamiliar with the "Dred Scott Decision", there is an
> entry on Wikipedia (standard disclaimers apply):
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dred_Scott_Decision

To bring this up-to-date, and entering into a very difficult issue with
only limited knowledge (how unusual for me!), I'd like to draw attention
to the John Moore case decided by the California Supreme Court (John
Moore vs Regents of the University of California, July 9, 1990) (at
http://tinyurl.com/awxno9 )

They decided in their wisdom that Moore did not have ownership of his own
tissues. In fact, a cell line derived from his tissues was a commercial
hot property, worth at least millions, and possibly billions of dollars,
none of which would accrue to Moore.

And if a company can have the right to your tissues, a right which you
yourself do not have, couldn't a company own _all_ of your tissues, i.e.
own YOU?

The issue is raised most recently in a BioNew (UK) commentary:

"To hold property in one's own body is a strange philosophical conundrum
as 'who' is doing the 'owning' of 'oneself'? Ethically it is also
problematic, as does the 'ownership' of parts of bodies suggest that
whole bodies and so persons can be owned? This was the worry of the
judges who rejected Moore's claim to have property rights in his body"

See http://www.bionews.org.uk/commentary.lasso?storyid=4219

_Science_ (not freely available) reported on this back in 1990. See:
Barinaga, M. (1990). Science, July 20, p. 239. A Muted Victory for the
Biotech Industry: A California court has ruled that patients don't own
tissues removed from their bodies-but questions of consent remain

On-line, you can check http://www.fasebj.org/cgi/reprint/3/5/1581.pdf

But perhaps the best source is this great readable essay: Taking The
Least of You
 Rebecca Skloot
 April 16, 2006
New York Times Magazine
http://home.earthlink.net/~rskloot/TakingTheLeast.pdf

(If you don't have time for the whole thing, skip down to the Moore case
headed "The $3 Billion Man")

or just read Michael Crichton's last novel, _Next_ (2006), where a
disguised version of the Moore case figures prominently. Or skip to the
afterword. He didn't like the decision very much.

Oh yes. Priscilla Wald has a review which I haven't been able to get my
hands on which alludes to the slavery issue. She calls the issue (the
decision?) "bioslavery". See http://tinyurl.com/dctptm
Wald, Priscilla.
What's in a Cell?: John Moore's Spleen and the Language of Bioslavery
New Literary History - Volume 36, Number 2, Spring 2005, pp. 205-225

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University      e-mail:  sbl...@ubishops.ca
2600 College St.
Sherbrooke QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Subscribe to discussion list (TIPS) for the teaching of
psychology at http://flightline.highline.edu/sfrantz/tips/