My writing assignments are like Gary's and I haven't had trouble with plagiarism. My assignments are research reports that are built from multiple drafts or short very-specific assignments such as analysis of a problem or response to a question. I would rather see 2 pages of organized and edited material than 15 pages of glop.

On the other hand, I know faculty who do assign 10-page to 15-page papers and they have a continuing problem with plagiarism.

There is an instructor/paper-length confound but I am not going to start assigning long papers to see if I get the problem :-)

Ken

Gerald Peterson wrote:
Interesting stuff.  I wonder if people on tips have many of
these kinds of problems?  I have paper requirements that are
not easily the kinds of things one can purchase: Research
reports that the students conduct in research classes with a
number of drafts, specific applications of social psych to
specific local situations, and narrow reviews of psych
research journals.  All of these can pose problems regarding
some plagiarism, but not the kind of things that essay mills
can easily handle.  Maybe we should ask, what kinds of papers
are more appropriate?  Does anyone really require the
old-fashioned global, general term paper these days?  Just
wonderin'   Gary

Gerald L. (Gary) Peterson, Ph.D. Professor, Psychology Saginaw
Valley State University University Center, MI 48710 989-964-4491 peter...@svsu.edu

<sbl...@ubishops.ca> 3/19/2009 9:39 pm >>>