On 13 Apr 2009 at 15:57, Michael Smith wrote:

> Besides, some naturopaths are trained MD's, and if the training fits, why
> shouldn't you be allowed to wear the shoes?

As Jim Clark astutely pointed out, if the naturopath is an MD, then
he/she already has the right to prescribe (and also has the appropriate
training to do so), and so has no need of the unjustified extension of
this right to naturopaths without a medical degree. And interestingly, in
BC, you can't be licensed simultaneously as an MD and a naturopath. You
have to be one or the other (see FAQ at the site below).

It also occurred to me that "some naturopaths are trained MDs" may well
be a considerable overstatement. I would expect this conjunction to be
exceedingly rare. I'm not talking about the pseudo-medical degrees
offered by naturopathic colleges, nor degree mills such as those from,
for example, the Baby Doc School of Medicine. I mean real MD degrees from
respected universities.

Given that, as Barbie would say, medicine is hard, and requires both high
intelligence and an understanding and appreciation of science, I can't
see too many naturopaths, with their faith in quackery, qualifying. Not
to belabour the point, but anyone who swallows that codswallop can't be
the coldest beer in the fridge. Much easier to get your degree from a
pseudoscientific college of naturopathy than go the MD route.

 Something else. Being a retiree with too much time on my hands, as Mike
Palij is fond of reminding us, I checked out the webpage of the British
Columbia Naturopathic Association (http://www.bcna.ca/index.shtml). It's
a very slick site, intended to impress us with the scientific nature of
their enterprise, and soothingly  assures us that their therapy is much,
much, more than just a placebo effect, and rests on the solid foundation
of double-blind randomized studies (none cited, however, as far as I
could see).

But what is striking is how much of their pitch is presented as anti-
drug. They repeatedly claim that drugs are dangerous, and their brand of
alternative medicine is an _alternative_ to drugs (see "About
naturopathic medicine").  So why in heaven's name would they want to have
prescription privileges? Perhaps they're only against drugs as long as
they don't have the right to prescribe them.

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University      e-mail:  sbl...@ubishops.ca
2600 College St.
Sherbrooke QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Subscribe to discussion list (TIPS) for the teaching of
psychology at http://flightline.highline.edu/sfrantz/tips/