Well, I think the original post was about ethics and thinking about them and
how they are instantiated (which, of course, includes law) in situations
such as obedience to authority as in the Milgram studies.

The particular example of waterboarding is just an example or springboard
for the discussion.

My point about highest justice authority in the land was given simply
because that is our highest authority of dispute reslotution over items of
law and ethics. So, whether the supreme court ever got to hear and rule
about this particular example is immaterial to the main discussion of ethics
and obedience to authority.

Indeed, if one does not obey the highest legal/ethical authority in the land
one is prosecuted. So, presumably, one can be prosecuted for not obeying an
authority and for obeying one (if your actions were later determined to be
against the ethical considerations of some future authority).

I think it would be very easy to get sidetracked into discussions about
particular legal cases, but the original post as I understood it is not
particularly about law, but about ethics.

--Mike