Hi,

Indeed and I suspect that a lot of folks who support abortion rights (myself
included) view it as the lesser of two evils. Making abortion illegal will NOT
stop it. Women will return to the ways they used out of desperation before
1973. What do you do or support if you really want to lower the number of
abortions? Making it illegal is not the way.

The frustrating thing is that neither side in this debate seems to want to work
toward lowering abortion rates in a constructive and sensible manner. The
loudest voices on the right want not only to restrict or end access to abortion
but also try to block funding for almost every effective means of contraception
(except abstinence) thus revealing themselves to be driven not or not only by a
wish to "protect the unborn" but also to impose one narrow view of morality and
?- or control female sexual behavior. It's really more like being
"pro-pregnancy". Abstinece of course works perfectly?in fantasy world,?but
simply will not fly as a practical method in a time when puberty begins before
12 and most do not marry until their late 20's.

The loudest voices on the pro-abortion rights side views ANY attempt to
circumscribe access as the beginning of the "slippery slope" toward complete
restriction and regulation. Isn't it possible that people have reasons for
abortion that could be viewed as unethical (i.e. sex selection to name just
one?)

Since our political process has devolved for many reasons into polarization, I
don't see much hope of bringing both sides together on this one. I wonder why
it has to be this way.

Nancy Melucci
Long Beach City College
Long Beach CA