This technique seems to be a variant of the method of loci.

I don't see any connection here between dream rememberance and self-hypnosis.

Ken

Rick Froman wrote:

I have a colleague (in the English department) who is writing a book and the current part involves a technique for remembering dreams. She said she was told by a psychologist that she should find various items around the room that she would be most likely to see when she wakes up and make a conscious association between these things (like a ceiling fan or a poster or a clock) and remembering dreams such that when she saw the item she would remember to remember her dream. The psychologist called this a post hypnotic suggestion but her editor doesn’t think this is a really accurate term for this technique. The psychologist evidently thought this association was a type of self-hypnosis and the remembering of the dream would then be the result of a post hypnotic suggestion.

What do you think? Is that an accurate term or can you think of a better way to label this technique (is it just an “association”)? Thanks,

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman, Chair

Division of Humanities and Social Sciences

Professor of Psychology

Box 3055

John Brown University

2000 W. University Siloam Springs, AR  72761

rfro...@jbu.edu

(479)524-7295

http://tinyurl.com/DrFroman

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D.                  steel...@appstate.edu