From: sbl...@ubishops.ca
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@acsun.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 9:23:48 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: Re: [tips] The Connecticut 20

Michael Sylvester observed:

>     It would seem to me that if one gives a promotion test to firefighters
>     and only the white firefighters pass the test,there must be something
>     wrong with the test.

to which the other Michael (Smith) rejoined:

> It seems to me, people who can't read shouldn't be hired as firefighters

Not necessarily. When my house is burning down, among the skills I'd like
to see in those who arrive to put the fire out, an ability to read
wouldn't be tops on my list. I'd put bravery, skill, decisiveness, and
strength higher. Also, resistance to heat. Give me Asbestosman any day
over Nerdy Readerman for that particular job.

But the question itself is interesting. As the Black workers were denied
promotion, perhaps the test wasn't of fire-fighting ability but of
ability to push a pencil. Even so, if the test was an IQ type non-
specifically assessing cognitive abilities, it may be less useful for
deciding who gets promoted than a specific test of qualities related to
the job to be performed, or less useful than an assessment based on the
candidate's past performance as an employee.

I imagine that the Supremes decided the case on narrow issues of law
rather than considering the validity of the test. But if the test does
poorly in selecting who would be best for the job but produces results
which diverge by skin colour,  wouldn't it be discriminatory to
nevertheless use it for selection purposes?

So I'd think that predictive validity would be crucial here.

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University      e-mail:  sbl...@ubishops.ca
2600 College St.
Sherbrooke QC  J1M 1Z7
Canada

Subscribe to discussion list (TIPS) for the teaching of
psychology at http://flightline.highline.edu/sfrantz/tips/